Erdogan urges Trump to make maximum use of diplomacy with Iran

Erdogan urges Trump to make maximum use of diplomacy with Iran Erdogan urges Trump to make maximum use of diplomacy with Iran

ANKARA — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday held a phone call with Donald Trump during which he urged the US president to pursue talks with Iran to de-escalate tensions ​between the two countries, the Turkish presidency said on Tuesday.According to the statement, Erdogan told Trump that making maximum use of diplomacy amid tensions between Iran and the US is “important.”Turkey, which has NATO’s second-largest army and borders Iran, has repeatedly called for an end to the war. It has maintained close contact with the United States, Iran, and mediators such as Pakistan and Qatar, while also acting as an ‌intermediary between the parties.“Erdogan ‌stated that it is of ​great ‌importance ⁠to ​make the utmost ⁠of diplomacy regarding the tensions between Iran and the United States, that we hope the talks will continue, and that Turkey will continue to support peace efforts,” the presidency said in its statement.The call comes after a senior Iranian official said earlier on Monday that Iran would shift ⁠to a “fully offensive” military posture because efforts ‌to negotiate a permanent end ‌to the war have stalled, as Washington ​ruled out extending a temporary ‌ceasefire agreement.Progress toward a resumption of tanker ‌traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has also stalled. Turkey has criticized the US and Israeli assault on Iran, while also condemning the Iranian attacks on Gulf states and calling for the re-opening of ‌the strategic strait.On Monday, Turkish foreign minister discussed the strait’s re-opening and the continuation of ⁠the ⁠ceasefire with his Iranian counterpart.The presidency added that Erdogan and Trump also discussed bilateral ties, the war in Gaza, and a defense pact signed between Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.The Turkish president said the Makkah Joint Defense Agreement signed earlier this month between Turkey, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia “demonstrates a strong stance in ensuring regional stability and security,” the statement said.On Gaza, Erdogan told Trump that Israel’s attacks on Palestinians had increased at a time when the second phase of Trump’s Peace Plan was supposed to come ​into effect.He added that “Turkey will continue to support lasting peace in the region and steps to be taken for the reconstruction of Gaza,” according to the statement.

Add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep Up to Date with our Weekly Newsletter

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertisement