KYIV — Ukrainian forces staged one of their biggest drone attacks on Russia since Moscow’s invasion more than four years ago, firing almost 800 drones just two days after launching a similar salvo, officials said on Tuesday.Meanwhile, a Russian missile strike on a village in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region killed at least 10 people and wounded eight others as the barrage demolished homes, officials said.Russian air defenses overnight intercepted 791 Ukrainian drones over a number of Russian regions, as well as annexed Crimea and the Black and the Azov seas, the Defense Ministry in Moscow said, in what was the second-largest drone attack since January 2025, according to an Associated Press tally.Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said on Russian social media platform Max thatmore than 600 Ukrainian drones flew toward the Moscow region and 180 drones were shot down between Monday evening and Tuesday until 5 am (0200 GMT).“At the sites where debris fell, emergency services are working,” he said.The previous largest attempted attack was on Aug. 15-16, when 600 drones were reported to have flown toward Moscow.The latest attack also caused damage in parts of the Moscow region.Governor Andrey Vorobyov said a drone struck another warehouse of online retailer Wildberries near Atlant-Park in Bogorodsky district, where a fire was subsequently contained.Two private homes were damaged and several fires were reported elsewhere in the region, he added.No casualties were reported in the affected areas, according to Vorobyov.Moscow faced several large-scale drone attacks in July, including an episode in which more than 430 drones were reported to have been intercepted in a single night.Over the past year Ukraine has devised and deployed domestically produced long-range drones for strikes deep inside Russia. Its drone technology has impressed governments and defense manufacturers around the world.Kyiv officials aim to make the Russian public feel the war’s consequences and pressure Russian President Vladimir Putin into negotiating a peace settlement. Putin has so far shown no sign he intends to stop the invasion.“Putin continues to drag out the war instead of accepting Ukraine’s realistic ceasefire proposals and ending the bloodshed,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said in a post on X.A Russian missile strike on the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region killed 10 civilians, according to preliminary information, said Oleh Syniehubov, head of the Kharkiv regional military administration.Another 17 people were wounded, he said. Zelensky called it “a brutal attack” that damaged 10 homes, a cafe, a post office, a store and at least seven vehicles, according to Syniehubov.“We will definitely respond to this Russian strike,” Zelensky said on social media.Also, three people were killed and three others were wounded over the past day in Russian attacks on Ukraine’s Sumy region, including drone strikes and an explosive device blast, Ukraine’s National Police said.
Add a comment
